Granola bar is one of the most preferred packed food for every outing, especially when it involves substantially physical activity like, trekking or cycling.
They are also good snack to pack for the kids travelling out and need to carry little munchies. And… you don’t have to search it in the aisles of supermarket every time.
You can pretty much make your own granola bars, sans preservatives of any kind, and belive me its easy breezy.
It will come together in 10 minutes and give it a good 20 minutes to bake..you have a nutrition packed bar ready in your kitchen.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of wheat germs
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup walnut crushed
- 1/2 cup raisins and dates together
- 1/2 desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Pre heat the oven at 150°C or 300°F. Greasy a 9 inch baking tray and keep it aside
- Mix all dry ingredients together except walnuts. Dry roast them on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Roast the walnut for few minutes. Mix with the other dry ingredients.
- Wet ingredients – Mix the butter, honey and jaggery together, give it a good stir and boil it in the microwave in low temperature for 2 minutes or just until the liquid start bubbling. Take out of the oven, mix the vanilla essence.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together, stir well and spread it on the prepared pan. Level and lightly press it with your fingers.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes a dozen granola bars.
- You can substitute any nuts and dry fruits of your choice
- If you don’t have access to jaggery, replace them with increased quantity of honey or with brown sugar.